I would say that my overall experience in the Grand Challenge Scholars Program at ASU was very positive. My chosen theme to pursue was sustainability. Sustainability is one of the fundamental research areas in the 21st Century and I believe it is the most important because it ensures that our innovations leave smaller footprints and improve not only daily life, but also the environment. One of the main reasons I like sustainability is because of its broad focus. It can encompass everything from renewable energy and its implementation to designing for the environment (life cycle analysis) to green chemistry. I believe that being a student of sustainability while obtaining an engineering education has made me more prepared to work in the modern world. 

The courses and experiences that I participated in to complete the program helped me understand the purpose of the Grand Challenge Scholars Program. I was able to develop a strong understanding of sustainability and gain experience in creating potential solutions to the Grand Challenges of engineering. For instance my research project, Desalination as a Solution to the Grand Challenge of Providing Access to Clean Water, is a clear example of my engagement in producing potential solutions. 

Many of the components of the program helped me feel more prepared as an engineer. Throughout my portfolio I evaluate the impacts and the value that my participation in particular courses or experiences had on my academic and professional development. Conducting undergraduate research helped me gain experience in identifying the audience's level of understanding and tailoring my methods of delivering information. Starting my own business in my FSE 301 course gave me the tools to pitch new ideas and market those ideas. The other courses I took simply compounded the skills that would be necessary in my professional career such as teamwork and identifying sociotechnical relationships.