Welcome to David Boyles' Online Teaching Portfolio

I'm an Arizona native and a graduate of Arizona State University who now teaches in the ASU Writing Programs. I specialize in composition theory, media literacy, digital literacy, visual rhetoric, and the rhetoric of higher education.

I teach our first-year writing classes, ENG 101 and ENG 102, as well as ENG 107 and 108, first-year writing for multilingual writers, and ENG 302, business writing.

Clip from Jerry Maguire (1996)  

As you might be able to tell, I'm a proud member of the ASU community and I am very happy to have returned to my alma mater in 2015 as a faculty member. As such, I am also committed to fulfilling ASU's charter, which states:

ASU is a comprehensive public research university, measured not by whom we exclude, but rather by whom we include and how they succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities it serves.

As a first-generation college graduate, I was a beneficiary of ASU's policy of inclusion, and I attempt to repay that through my work with ASU's diverse student population, particularly when working with freshman students. In addition, I am also committed to the charter's tenant that the university should assume responsibility for the communities it serves. This portfolio is designed with that purpose in mind, in order to communicate the work I do with my students at ASU to the wider communities I am a part of, including students, ASU colleagues, members of my discipline, and members of the wider public. I believe the work of a teacher should not be confined to the four walls of the classroom so I try to be as transparent as possible with my students, colleagues, administration, and community about the work that my students and I do.

This portfolio will demonstrate that work, walking you through the philosophical underpinnings of my pedagogy, the actual work I do in the classroom, students' reactions and feedback, and my engagement with my university, my academic discipline, and my community through service and professional development.

Students in my Spring 2017 ENG 108 course analyze the arguments of the ASU charter.

You can check out my RateMyProfessors page and also connect with me on Twitter and Instagram and at my website.