The Grand Challenge Scholars Program has provided me with a very broad spectrum of courses, but that each have my selected theme of energy at their core. Its five key areas of Research, Interdisciplinary Study, Global Awareness, Entreprenuership and Service Learning are themselves all interdependent and important, but I think it is the spirit of interdiscipline which should be the cornerstone in all things that you do. My interest in focusing on Grand Challenges related to the energy field have allowed me to find a subject I am interested in and gain a lot of specialized experience in it, but I came to learn that these experiences are varied and require many skills and perspectives. EPICS, solar research and higher level engineering courses have given me the know how to combine academics and project management into skills which make me much more marketable as an entry level employee. Possessing this varied skillset puts me a cut above other graduating engineers.

Grand Challenge related courses are not just technical experience either. The Global and Interdisciplinary sections taught me that there is this whole world of complex social, cultural and political issues which will factor almost even more heavily into solving the Engineering Grand Challenges than the technologies themselves. To be a successful engineer, I think you have to understand these, to design things which will actually make an impact.

Research, Entrepreneuership and other intern experiences have helped me test several different types of work environments and find what suits me. Directly after school I will be continuing an internship into a full time position with the aerospace company Boeing, but I think what would best suit me, and my ultimate five to ten year career goal is to work at a medium sized solar start up. A job like this would help me to feel connected to and involved in my work, and I could apply both my big company and entrepreneurial values at once. 

The GCSP was initially hard sell to myself. I wondered how the disjointed experiences and extra course work would ultimately be worth it. To be frank I still have concerns whether or not a special certificate from the National Academy of Engineers and a GCSP logo will have any long term name recognition or career boost in itself; but looking at the program as a whole in a retrospective lens it becomes clear its benefit. The program is all about exposure to a wide variety of experiences and networks, which as a whole add great value. Without being enrolled in Grand Challenges, I really do not think I would have been able to have the same academic and personal journey these four years.