Biography

I have homeschooled my three children for the past 13 years. Early on while homeschooling, I discovered the concept of learning styles. I witnessed a tremendous growth in my children’s learning when their unique learning style was used to guide instruction.

Seeing the change in my own children, I became passionate about helping other homeschooling parents use their child’s unique learning strengths to improve learning. This led me to create a website and write the book Make Learning Fit: How to Tailor Your Homeschool Curriculum to Fit Your Child’s Learning Style. My goal was to guide parents in discovering their child’s learning style with recommendations of appropriate instructional methods and curricula.

With my heart full of passion for those who learn differently, I was introduced to the world of twice-exceptionality when my son was born. Twice-exceptional refers to those who are intellectually gifted and have coexisting learning and/or behavioral differences. Homeschooling my son was a challenge. How do you educate a child who can comprehend adult level texts about theoretical physics (when read aloud to him) but reads below grade level and can barely write a sentence? This was the predicament I found myself in and so I decided to get a Master in Education degree in Curriculum and Instruction: Gifted Education so that I could improve my son's education.

Through the Master's program at Arizona State University, I learned about exemplar gifted education practices and saw how little of it was available in my community. I became moved to do something about it and make a positive impact in my community for gifted children. This passion led me to open Edison Academy SLO, a micro-school for gifted and twice-exceptional children in the fall of 2016. The Master’s program at Arizona State University has given me a deep understanding of the unique needs of gifted learners along with the skills and knowledge to build an appropriate curriculum connected to their unique learning profiles and interests. These skills and knowledge will allow my micro-school to provide gifted and twice-exceptional students with the personalized, strengths-based education they need in order to achieve their potential and find fulfillment in life.