I have spent the past two years performing research in the lab of Dr. David Nielsen. The purpose of my research project is to engineer the production of p-Coumaric acid from a co-culture of E. coli and yeast. p-Coumaric acid, or p-coumarate, is an aromatic compound commonly produced by and found in plants and vegetables. Its properties, including antioxidant, anti-infective, and immunoregulatory, enable its broad and versatile application in a range of industries including food, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics. While p-coumarate is prevalent in nature, harvesting the compound from natural sources is an inefficient process, requiring large quantities of producing crops and numerous extraction and purification steps. Thus, the large-scale production of the compound is both difficult and costly. If successful, my research will provide a sustainable alternative manufacturing process, utilizing renewable glucose to produce the compound in high quantities. I am currently completing an honors thesis on this topic as completion of the requirements of Barrett the Honors College.

This research relates to my Grand Challenge theme of sustainability as it will reduce the energy required to produce a compound that is widely used in a variety of products. Contributing to the increased sustainability of industry is vitally important to a more sustainable world as industrial manufacturing accounts for over 20% of energy use in the U.S.

My experience conducting research has been invaluable to my future career. I discovered industrial biotechnology when I wrote a paper on industrial biotechnology as an emerging technology in the introductory GCSP course my freshman year. Nearly four years later, my interest in the field has not faded. In fact, my enthusiasm for applying natural processes to increase the sustainability of chemical manufacturing has grown as my knowledge of the field increases. I have become more sure of my decision to pursue a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, performing synthetic biology research, with each passing day. Not only has my experience in research helped me to clarify my career goals, but it has also helped me to gain a wide array of skills in both technical and non-technical areas. From a big-picture standpoint, I have learned how to investigate and solve a problem, troubleshoot when I encounter issues, and relate my degree to an area not viewed as traditional Chemical Engineering. I have also gained crucial communication skills, as I have been challenged to tell others about my research and write about the importance of synthetic biology and metabolic engineering in solving the grand challenges. Communicating technical concepts to a non-technical audience has been an important part of my research, as there is a great need to educate the public on the usefulness of microbes and why genetically modified organisms (GMO's) are not just a "scary" ingredient found in many store-bought foods, but actually an important tool for reducing reliance on fossil fuels and improving global sustainability. Overall, my time conducting research as a Grand Challenge Scholar has given me extensive technical knowledge in a field with significant global potential, and taught me to bridge the gap between engineered solutions and an educated public that is receptive to them so that true progress in sustainability can be made.