Capstone: Creative Framework for Augmented Storytelling

My research component does not fall under the traditional research category. Instead, I ended up using my year long senior design capstone project to fulfill this component. Because my focus area falls under “Tools for Scientific Discovery”, it was a bit of a challenge finding a capstone project that both showcased my abilities as a Software Engineer and contributed towards this theme. In the end however, I managed to successfully make these two worlds meet in one large project and I could not be more pleased with the results.

My capstone project was to create a framework that enhances storytelling through the use of technology. Ultimately, the goal is to assist professors by providing a tool that helps create more effective and compelling presentations. One main challenge with traditional schooling is that it is very difficult to teach more complex and abstract concepts such as physics and molecular structures. As a result, this can cause frustration among students and prove detrimental to their overall understanding of the concept. 

To address this issue, my team came up with a solution that takes advantage of an existing technology, the Microsoft HoloLens. The Microsoft HoloLens is a device that uses Augmented Reality. Essentially, it is a wearable computer that gives the illusion that the digital imagery exists in the real world. While the HoloLens is used to show the presentation, viewers can watch the presentation through their cell-phone. In this particular project, an iPhone was used. Through this project, students no longer have to idly sit and attempt to imagine what their professor is talking about. Instead, they can now actively participate in the presentation. Through this project, students are enabled to better learn the material and develop a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts.

Software engineers never work alone. While programmers individually contribute code to a project, teamwork is necessary to combine all the code together in a seamless fashion. That being said, I would have never been able to finish this unique project all by myself. I am thankful for my amazing team members: James Quigley, Joshua Hewlett, and Alireza Bahremand.

This one-of-a-kind project has been an unbelievable learning experience for me. My primary focus of study in my degree program is embedded systems. This just means that I specifically focus on writing software for the hardware in a lot of today’s electronics. Some examples include refrigerators, cars, microwaves, and Keurig Coffee Makers. With this project, I have had the opportunity to branch out in to developing software that interacts with the Internet while also displaying information in an appealing way. Had it not been for this project, I would have never been able to get as much exposure to this area.

This has also been the first project where I have had to focus heavily on making sure that the software designs were strong and scalable. While this is an important aspect in my career, I have not had lot of practice with it in the past. Because I spent so much time ensuring that our project followed well-established design patterns and principles in this project, I was able to make the development process smoother for my team and ended up identifying an area that I really enjoy working in. As a result, I have been able to start transitioning into this type of role in my internship while also contributing code. This has allowed me to become more valuable to my team and it has opened doors to other opportunities.

Through this capstone project, I have developed a couple of key takeaways. First, I realized that I want to study Systems Engineering for my Master’s degree. I ended up loving the design aspect of the project so much that I decided to specialize in it for my career. Secondly, although I enjoy embedded systems development, I want to focus my energy in developing new tools that help advance society in cool and innovative ways. I can do that through active development, but I feel I can have a bigger impact by helping guide the design from start to finish. In order to do that, I need to hone my skills further to make my contributions more effective.

Despite having to go into “the real world” after graduating, I want to keep this Grand Challenge close to my heart and let it guide my career. I never imagined that this one project would change my career goal and impact my life in so many ways.