My coursework and experiences helped me achieve the GCSP goals in each of the five components by taking classes that connected to Sustainability. The GCSP prepared me for my future career plans by allowing me to explore my interest in sustainability and determine my personal definition of it - sustainability is ultimately about the endurance of society in a changing world and how we can ensure that we meet the needs of the present without compromising the needs of the future. My experience in the GCSP has allowed me to become a well-rounded engineer by exposing me to subjects and courses that I would not be exposed to as a typical engineering student. Without this program, I would not have taken courses in business and entrepreneurship (IEE 220, FSE 301). These classes taught me valuable skills about financials and project management. I was then able to think about the economics and feasibility of sustainability. The research I conducted on drinking water quality and management has provided me with technical skills, presentation experience, and talking points in interviews with potential employers. Access to clean drinking water is a sustainable challenge that is faced by 1.2 billion people worldwide and there is much needs to be done to meet this challenge. My research allowed me to learn about how the greater Phoenix area supplies clean drinking water to its residents. I started building my network in FSE 194 of a community of like-minded students, all while learning about the interdisciplinary aspect of the GCSP, the theme areas, and the 14 grand challenges. In SOS 300, I explored the interdisciplinary nature of the field of sustainability itself, ranging from fields like law, government, engineering, architecture, and population dynamics. The classes I took for the global dimension (GPH 210, GPH 314) allowed me to critically think about the impact that humans have on the environment throughout the world and if actions are sustainable or not. For service learning, EPICS exposed me teamwork, designing for the environment you are in, and Lean methodology. The exposure to Lean has been invaluable to my career as an industrial engineering student by giving me real world experience in my chosen field. Lean also relates to sustainability by reducing waste in processes.

The GCSP has allowed me to learn about not only the technical depth of engineering, but also about the social impact that engineering has. Although I was tempted to withdraw from the GCSP at the beginning of my time at ASU (the program is very daunting looked at as just a checklist of courses and experiences), I am glad that I have successfully completed it. The GCSP motivated me to take courses that I was interested in, but would not have taken without the support of the GCSP community and the structure of the program. I have enjoyed the coursework, experiences, and the community that the GCSP has provided me. I look forward to implementing what I have learned in my career as an engineer and I am delighted to be a Grand Challenge Scholar.