I was born and raised near Fort Wayne, IN. After completing a BA in English Writing and an MA in English Writing, Composition, and Rhetoric at Indiana University, I moved to South Korea to teach English. I soon got a job at Pusan National University, where I taught as a visiting professor for nearly 5 years. In addition to the valuable experience as a teacher that I gained in Korea, I also learned to love studying languages. I learned Korean through my day-to-day interactions and took classes in both Korean and French in my spare time.

I completed my PhD in Rhetoric, Composition, & Linguistics at Arizona State University in September 2014. My primary areas of study were digital literacies, second-language writing, and writing program administration. I continue to be very interested in how digital literacies affect writing in university classes and how to better serve second-language writers in American universities.

I worked as Assistant Director of Writing Programs at Arizona State University from Fall 2012 to Spring 2014. This experience was invaluable to my growth as a teacher and scholar and helped me to better understand how writing programs are run.

I am currently working as a Postdoctoral Scholar at Arizona State University. As part of that position, I developed the curriculum for a class designed to help second-language writers who were majoring in business. I then taught several sections of this course and gathered data to assess how well the course was meeting its goals.

In addition to my scholarly pursuits, I’m an avid long-distance runner, cyclist, and hiker. I regularly run races from 5Ks to marathons. I also enjoy watching movies, reading comic books, and playing video games.