After Project 1, I began to think more about my word choice as well as sentence structure. I used descriptive words to describe the severity of this even. If I actually thought about the basics of English writing (nouns, verbs, etc), I would be able to summarize my point with fewer words and still have it make sense. Same goes for my second project. I was able to look at my writing from an outward perspective. I even thought, "How would Peter Menzel want if he read my paper?" By informing my audience of Menzel's purposes, this made my writing clarify why he used his strategies and show the thought process behind it. Using this mindset, I could visualize my writing and edit it with more success. I've always attempted to stray away from common texts and common phrases. Beforehand, I felt that these things made my writing seem simpler and less complex. Now I know that I can still use common phrases appropriately, and it will allow me to connect with my audience better, on simpler terms. I've also learned about how different types of texts use different voices and tones. I have learned that you must make your language appropriate depending on your topic, as well as your audience. You would not write the same way for an email to a friend as you would for your resume for a job interview. If I am writing a college analytical paper, I try to use different language than I would in an exploratory paper. For an analytical essay, I would try and use words such as demonstrate, illustrate, and example when describing my evidence. For exploratory, I would use vocabulary such as describe, inform, learn, and interest and give my ideas meaning. Analytical writing is writing to inform, and so for my second project I wrote to inform my audience of the rhetorical appeals used. In my first project however, it used exploratory writing to explore. I wrote to explore to subject's story and opinion.
For the final drafts of each of these projects, it required APA format. Being familiar with research papers and MLA format, I had a good understanding of what was important. I knew that my headers and footers all needed to be within an inch of each other. I also knew that the title page and reference pages needed to be constructed specifically to the format. All I really did was use Purdue Owl and follow the guidelines as best as I could. For me, if I had any questions, it was easy enough to look up. One problem that I have always struggled with when writing my sources is that sometimes the website or article does not provide all the information, such as volume pages or even author. Back in high school, I would still use the source and try my best to cite it. I've now learned that I can just as easily find a new, better source that actually displays all the information. Using sources with better legitimacy is better for one's argument anyhow.