the desire to know more about the world.

I have always had a desire to know more about the world. With this class, I find that it’s easier to fill my curiosity because I can ask help from students and faculty by just sending a quick email. I find that I not only want to know more about the world, but now I want to know how language (not just English) and how communication affects our perceptions of life. If I can change my point with just a few words, I’m sure other people have done the same.

Since I walk home from work everyday anyways, I decided to use this opportunity to walk with awareness in the immediate world around me. I noticed how warm it still happened to be outside even for September. I could feel the warmth of the sun shining on my skin as well I could see how bright it was outside with my eyes. The first part of the walk I had to pass over train tracks and the new thing I noticed is that the trains looks like they could go on for miles and miles on both sides. I’d always avoided looking down the tracks just because of my fear of a train coming. Since I knew it would be safe, I decided to conquer this tiny fear and take a look. It felt great to actually view something I had passed everyday but never actually took the time to look at. It felt good to slow down and I felt like I was more dancing then walking at some points. I felt light on my feet as if I was walking on clouds. This exercise came to me easily just because I usually use this walk to come to terms with hard days at work and to feel zen afterwards. I learned that I don’t have to just be aware when walking. I can switch on this instinct anytime I want, it’s just a matter of fact of telling myself to do it.  

I was curious in my first project to interview my subject. The excitement that I had I channelled into my interview questions. I really wanted to know what it was like to live through something so horrible. For my second project, I definitely let curiosity inspire my research. I found it thrilling to research Hungry Planet and I was very excited at this point in the project. My first impression of the analytical essay was that it would be boring since I had to analyze rhetorical strategies. Once I learned that these strategies worked even on me, I understood what the true purpose of rhetoric is - to inform your audience. Curiosity struck me, and I found myself really excited when looking for information and statistics for logos.