The social force of rock music, particularly David Bowie’s work helped me connect to a larger and more fascinating world beyond the isolated and racially segregated communities in which I lived as a teenager. John Dewey, the educator and philosopher, envisioned the significance of such connection as an integral part of the processes and progress of learning. Dewey wrote, “The communication which ensures participation in a common understanding is one which secures similar emotional and intellectual dispositions” (cited in Putney, page 138). Dewey’s words bring to mind memories of teenage suburban isolation, and the frustrations of feeling alone and different, and of the deep need for a community much larger than my town, my high school, and my neighborhood. Creating community ideally offers a remedy for social isolation so that learners practice intellectual and emotional work that allows us to achieve a “common understanding.” In 1974, David Bowie’s music presented alternatives for a more optimistic future.

From the album Blackstar (2016)  Lyrics and Music by David Bowie 1947-2016

A selection of greatest hits available here.

David Bowie from "The Proust Questionaire." See the entire questionaire here.