Members: Bryant Armistead, Christiyana Marks, Sarah Scrivner, Katherine Turpin, Xingfang Xie (Jubilee), Christina Yard Emanis

Bellow You Will Find:

1.) A grouping of each Teammember's World Travel Site link.

2.) Each Teammember's 1/2-full page description of a relatives adventure and what has been learned from them.

Bryant Armistead

Christiyana Marks

When I asked my sister Tanya about her favorite travel experience she told me about her trip to New York.She wanted to experience a fast past environment because she has always felt like living in the city of Phoenix was not the true definition of a city. Tanya started to describe her desire to people watch and engage in subcultures depending on location and the residents.When she arrived in New York she became overwhelmed because she felt like everyone was moving nonstop. She took the trip to New York while attending Penrose academy for cosmetology so she was surrounded by familiar faces, however, she still felt like everything was strange and new.Her first location was time square where she went to a very expensive restaurant she said the prices were high and the food wasn't good at all.She recalls the best part of food were the street hot dogs.
Tanya's experience in New York helped her learn not only more about her career in Cosmetology she also found her desire for travel and experiencing new things. She recalls New York not being similar to anywhere shes ever been. The people are all on a mission and it made her more motivated to be even more involved and put her career and passion first. Although the word of cosmetology in New York from what she experienced forces people to develop super human talents it made her love it even more. Interviewing her made me realize no matter where you go you can always learn something new about your career field.

Sarah Scrivner

The relative I interviewed was my older brother, Tyler Scrivner. After asking him about a memorable adventure he has undertook, he couldn't at first think of one. He's been in Arizona for a majority of his life, and the little traveling he has done has been to neighboring states with family. After digging a bit into memorable travels, he remembered his trip to Oregon for school. The trip involved flying to Oregon to assist a theater design group in painting a massive scenic design backdrop for an upcoming show.  While he was there, he was also able to see fall leaves for the first time, and watched some local theater productions.

While he was there, he learned about the importance of teamwork and how to use airbrushing equipment. He learned that he was more capable and responsible than he thought he was, as it was his first assigned project that he had to travel to another state for. In interviewing my brother, I learned that although you might be unsure of your capabilities, you won't know what you can and can't achieve unless you try.

Katherine Turpin

My mom is definitely a history lover and has been long-involved in crafts such as sewing, quilting, and braided wool rugs. She told me about her visit to colonial Williamsburg, Virginia and nearby Jamestown and how it was a great adventure. She said that it was thrilling to walk the streets that had once been the capital of the Colony of Virginia, to sample foods common to that time, visit restored homes and business, and to watch artisans create items of daily living we have come to think of as common and simple. Although Williamsburg is somewhat commercialized and she said that she had a somewhat romanticized idea of colonial life; her visit dispelled some of those ideas. She learned how expensive glass was for the colonists and that not all homes included that luxury. My mom learned how survival itself depended on the efforts and diligence of the colonists, whether it was hunting, farming, or preparing the food. She realized how spoiled and detached she was in being able to go to the store and choose a chicken, a roast, or a carton of eggs. She did not have to raise the chicken and gather the eggs, nor slaughter and pluck the chicken. It was fascinating to her to watch artisans make candles, barrels, horseshoes, and wagon wheels, and made her appreciate the many conveniences of her own everyday  life, including electricity, cars, and modern roads. My mom said that she loved seeing the handwork of the women and considered the challenge of working by candlelight to create it. Seeing the rope springs on narrow bed frames gave her a new appreciation for her queen size bed. My mom’s colonial adventure included a trek to nearby Jamestown, where conditions were even more primitive. She said that she especially enjoyed watching the glass blowing and purchased a green vase created right there. Also included in this adventure was a too short stop at the College of William and Mary. Seeing an institution of higher learning, which she learned was second only to Harvard and established in the seventeenth century was inspiring. My mom said that she  learned too many things to mention during this adventure, but probably the most important thing that she learned is that, “We truly accomplish little on our own. We DO stand on the shoulders of giants, often giants who were as common and ordinary as I, but doing extraordinary things.”

Xingfang Xie (Jubilee)

My father always has different ideas. Some of them are very creative, and some of them are very weird. One of his adventure experience really impressed me. He was a high school teacher taught political history, but he really liked to travel. He resigned his job and traveled around the East Asia. Once he went to the Singapore, he saw many young couples were taking very beautiful Wedding photos but wearing the western wedding dress. He started to do a lot of research about how the western culture influences the eastern culture. He took a lot of pictures and collected many interesting samples, and he made a lot of friends from different countries. Finally, he thought it was a big business opportunity. He encouraged and influenced my mom to study fashion design. They started to think about a new style wedding culture, and they were very successful!

I learned when we have the dream and have some good ideas. We really need to go deeper and find the useful and meaningful information just from a small thing which happened in our daily life. Traveling provides a great opportunity for exploring what you haven't known and what you may want to do. In addition, when you do something which has significant positive meaning, the people who around you will be influenced by you. The better way to change to have the better life is to first change yourself to be a better person. Dream it! Be brave and do it!

Christina Yard Emanis